As of January 1, 2020, the requirement for delivery of airplay log data related to the 2020 Commercial Radio Reproduction Tariff will be changing. We are writing to advise on these changes, and to provide instruction on how to submit your reporting to CMRRA going forward.
In prior years and effective until the end of 2019, licensing for the reproduction of musical works was administered by CMRRA-SODRAC Inc (CSI). Airplay logs and payment were submitted to CSI until January 1, 2019, when a change took effect that required delivery of the log data to be directed to each CMRRA and SODRAC individually. Payment and financial reporting requirements, however, have remained unchanged throughout 2019, and should continue to be delivered to CSI up until December 31, 2019.
Beginning in 2020, SOCAN will administer the repertoire formerly represented by SODRAC. As a result, your reporting of log data, payments and financial reporting must be made separately to each of CMRRA and SOCAN. Your total royalty liability for the reproduction of musical works (i.e. what was previously paid to CSI) will not change under the proposed 2020 tariff, but you will be required to split the payment between CMRRA and SOCAN according to the relative proportion for each organization as outlined in the tariff.
You’ll find below a link to the new CMRRA reporting form (supplied as a fillable spreadsheet that automatically calculates your monthly liability), which you should begin to use in relation to the payment month of January 2020. For Broadcasters reporting on behalf of more than one station, the same sheet can be used to report for all stations. Please contact us if your sheet does not provide space for all stations you are reporting.
The reference month will continue to be the second month before the month for which royalties are being paid. For January 2020, this would be November 2019. Instructions on usage of the new reporting form are included in the spreadsheet under a separate tab. Please continue to update the same file each month and send the most recently updated version on the due date outlined below.
You can continue to use the standard format for reporting usage log information.
Finally, if you have received communication from CSI on reconciling any remaining account balance for the years 2012 through 2019, note that this period must be closed out with CSI. Any over/underpayment still outstanding will not carry over to your accounting with CMRRA, which commences on January 1, 2020.
Please find instructions below on how to direct your reporting and queries to CMRRA as of January 1, 2020.
Financial Reporting Requirements:
- Payment is due the 1st day of each month
- Using the provided form, report your gross revenue to CMRRA on a monthly basis.
- Download your form here: New Excel Form
- Soft copies of forms should be sent via e-mail to email@example.com
- Payment via cheque to CMRRA Ltd should be mailed to 320-56 Wellesley Street West, Toronto, ON M5S 2S3.
- For questions regarding payment or the status of your account, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Usage Logs Reporting Requirements:
- Usage logs are due the 1st day of each month
- Send monthly usage logs to email@example.com.
- Please use the standard format for log reports, with the following delimited fields, in this order: STATION ID | QUARTER | DATE | TIME | TITLE | ARTIST | COMPOSERS | ALBUM TITLE | LABEL | DUR | U | NATIONALITY | CATALOGNO | ISRC | UPC
- Please use a .csv, .txt or .tsv file format type whenever possible. We can also accept Excel files, but would prefer the aforementioned file types.
- When submitting files for multiple months at once, please group files by month and send separate emails for each month. Please refrain from sending files related to different months within the same email, as that requires additional processing time.
- Where applicable, provide cue sheets for syndicated shows to the same e-mail address, firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any questions regarding usage logs submission, please contact: email@example.com