Title: Associate Director Software Engineering
Reports to: VP of Engineering
The Associate Director Software Engineering oversees and manages the direction of the Software Engineering function in developing, integrating, maintaining, and supporting software applications and systems according to business needs and technology principles and standards. CMRRA is embarking on major initiatives in 2019 to transform its music licensing and royalty distribution system. The Associate Director Software Engineering will play a key role in that transformation, managing local and remote software development teams. The person in this role is expected to be a strong technology manager as well as have the ability to jump in and be hands-on as needed. Familiar with a variety of enterprise software engineering concepts, models, practices, and processes. Relies on considerable experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. Leads and directs the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Lead, develop, and manage internal and outsourced software development teams.
- Oversee the delivery of multiple Engineering initiatives, projects and teams.
- Become the technical subject matter expert of the music licensing and royalty distribution system and related systems.
- Collaborate with software engineering teams from CMRRA’s parent company on data integration and other software development projects.
- Handling relationships with 3rd party vendors, partners and consulting companies
- Demonstrate responsibility, accountability, and dedication to Engineering team success.
- Assist Senior IT members with company technology strategy and roadmap.
- Establish and promote use of technologies and processes that lower risk and increase efficiency.
- Establish and assure adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans and performance requirements.
- Facilitate and ensure cross-project communication on cross-system feature and technical discussions.
- Support and improve established software development standards and best practices.
- Facilitate Architecture discussions and decision-making with other senior Engineering members.
- As needed, play a hands-on Technical Lead Developer role in software development projects and activities.
- Select and maintain software development tools and frameworks.
- Mentor team members in software design and development best practices.
- Ensure applications achieve a high level of security, quality, and maintainability.
- Actively manage and address software “technical debt”.
- Leverage and enhance continuous build and deployment tools.
- Leverage and follow Agile software development practices and techniques.
- Interface with key stakeholders in Project Management, Business and Technology Operations to ensure high quality delivery of software projects on time and budget.
- Work with senior management to influence the technology and business direction of the organization.
- Responsible for solving highly technical and complex problems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent technical field.
- At least 7 years of experience in software engineering/development.
- At least 3 years of experience in a Team Lead, Lead Developer and/or Software Architect role.
- Experience working with large-scale, distributing systems with high volume transactions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications and presentation skills.
- Proven solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to oversee multiple software projects or initiatives, concurrently.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Proficient at designing and developing enterprise software.
- Proficient at designing and developing Microsoft-based software using most of the following:.Net, Java, AWS and/or Azure
- Proficient at designing relational data models and working with relational databases.
- Proficient in Agile software development methodology, processes, and practices.
- Experience building service-oriented applications using REST web services.
- Experience developing highly available, highly scalable software for transaction-oriented systems.
- Experience evaluating and leveraging 3rd party commercial and open source software.
What CMRRA Has To Offer:
- Great benefits and Retirement Savings Plan
- Great Downtown location
- Casual dress code
To apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter here so we can get to know you!
CMRRA welcomes all applicants for this position! We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all! Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.