Reports to: Senior Director of Finance at Corporate
Direct Reports: Senior Accountant
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Director of Finance at Corporate, this position will manage the Senior Accountant and oversee the daily operations of the CMRRA finance department. This includes the production of the monthly close, periodic financial and compliance reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk. It also includes enhancing the accuracy of the company’s reported financial results and ensuring that reported results comply with Canadian accounting standards for private enterprises. This role will be based in the Toronto CMRRA office.
The Controller’s primary functions will include but are not limited to:
- Manage the day to day activities of CMRRA’s Finance Department’s operations and CMRRA’s joint venture which includes initiating and recording all financial transactions (such as but not limited to accounts payable, employee expense reimbursements, salaries and benefits, royalty collections, royalty distributions, investments, prepaid expenses, fixed assets, capitalized software costs, leases and intercompany transactions for CMRRA and its joint venture).
- Manage monthly, quarterly and annual close process and timelines, including preparing and reviewing reconciliations for accuracy and the preparation and review of various internal and external reports and the financial statements within required close timeline.
- Assist with the creation and management of the annual budget and preparation of monthly financial forecasts.
- Serve as a day to day contact for staff, management, and other departments related to the finance and accounting department functions
- Manage the distribution process as it relates to Finance functions
- Manage bank accounts and relationship and ensure cash balances are sufficient to cover daily operational needs
- Manage the financial statement audits, annual compliance reporting and any other ad hoc reporting necessary for CMRRA and its joint venture, including coordinating and managing audit timeline, preparing and reviewing audit workpapers and the audit report.
- Manage the preparation and filing of the T2 Corporation Income Tax Return for CMRRA and its joint venture and all other compliance reporting such as HST/GST/QST and other tax related matters
- Research and propose accounting treatment for complex accounting issues
- Ensure designated internal controls are in place, monitoring effectiveness of controls and recommending and/or implementing changes as required
- Maintain an accurate general ledger and accounting system
- Manage relationships with financial institutions.
- Manage, train and evaluate the Senior Accountant’s performance.
- Prepare ad hoc reports as needed
- Document department policies and procedures
The Controller must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance with 10+ years of relevant work experience with 3+ years of work experience in a managerial role. The Controller will combine superior work ethic with an analytical mind and must have a “hands on” management style. The Controller should possess an understanding of larger company management concepts but also have exposure to medium size company operations. Prior experience in the audit practice of a public accounting firm or in a Finance department of a company is preferred.
- Knowledge of Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises (ASPE), US GAAP and other accounting concepts and experience in their application
- Experience managing an accounting operations department and involvement in the daily/monthly closing procedures, journal entries, reconciliations and controls, financial reporting and budgeting
- Experience preparing and analyzing monthly financial reporting packages and financial statements
- Experience with Great Plains or large ERP system a plus
- Experience with Concur Travel & Expense module a plus
- Experience with foreign exchange and intercompany transactions a plus
- Experience in the media/entertainment industry and/or royalty accounting a plus
- Exposure to an annual budgeting and forecasting process a plus
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office and advanced excel skills required
- Highly organized with excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Detail oriented
- Strong work ethic and team player
- Professional accounting designation/certification (CA, CMA, CGA) required
What CMRRA Has To Offer:
- Great benefits and Retirement Savings Plan
- Annual fitness subsidy
- Great Downtown location
- Casual dress code
To apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter here so we can get to know you!
CMRRA welcomes all applicants for this position! We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all! Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.