Title: Independent Label Liaison
Reports to: Supervisor, Mechanical Licensing
The primary focus of the Independent Label Liaison (Bilingual) is to maintain a positive working relationship with assigned independent record labels to ensure that the needs of CMRRA’s publishers are being met. This role involves issuing licences for priority releases, processing royalties, and acting as the main point of contact for those labels. The Independent Label Liaison is also responsible for identifying and communicating any concerns with the independent record labels to Supervisor, Mechanical Licensing and must work to ensure the label is compliant with the terms of the Mechanical Licensing Agreement (MLA).
- Develop and foster communication with assigned record labels; act as main point of contact for all licensing and royalties’ inquiries from assigned labels.
- Manage a changing environment and prioritize concerns and issues on a daily basis and provide essential updates to supervisor.
- Ensure that the record labels meet all the terms of the MLA.
- Review artist agreements, and document the details required for completion of the licensing process (as well as accurately calculating the applicable controlled rates).
- Ability to identify action items, follow up with labels and/or publishers and highlight concerns.
- Ensure all aspects of licensing for assigned labels are managed and prioritized in a timely manner or as assigned by supervisor.
- Review rejected licences.
- Ability to report on work-flow as required.
- Processing of quarterly manufacturer (record label) royalty files, including line-by-line amendments of song reporting.
- Opening and closing balancing of royalty files.
- Matching publisher cheques, summaries and statements post-royalty processing.
- Maintaining the Independent Payments database.
- Correspond with publishers regarding their song shares necessary for priority licensing.
- Researching, adding, and updating CMRRA’s databases using the varied sources available (databases, publisher catalogues, CWR, emails, etc.).
- Other projects as assigned.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- Must be fully bilingual (English, French)
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in a related field
- Experience in using databases to do research/provide information
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office
- Ability to self-motivate and work well independently
- Effective verbal/written communication
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple priorities simultaneously
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy
- Basic understanding of accounting principles and bookkeeping skills
- Strong research and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of copyright and music publishing and the Mechanical Licensing Agreement would be an asset
- Comprehension of royalty payment transactions (shares, rates, periods, etc.) would be considered a strong asset
- Excellent communication skills including listening, verbal and written
- Detail Oriented
- Responsible and Reliable
- Diplomacy and Tact
- Flexible and adaptable
What CMRRA Has To Offer:
- 35-hour work week and flexible work hours
- Annual fitness subsidy
- Summer Hours (compressed work week)
- Great Downtown location
- Casual Dress Code
Submit Your Resumé
To apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter here so we can get to know you!
CMRRA welcomes all applicants for this position! We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all!
Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.