Title: Supervisor, Mechanical Licensing
Department: Mechanical Licensing
Reports to: Director of Licensing & Royalties
Direct reports: 12
The Supervisor of Mechanical Licensing is responsible for implementation, execution and control of all mechanical licensing activities. In addition, this role supervises the team of 12, oversees the recruitment, selection and training of the mechanical licensing administration team. Also, mentors and provides development to the mechanical licensing administration team. This role requires strong technical expertise, knowledge of the mechanical licensing agreement and the pro-active management of client services.
- Manage publisher client service relationships including but not limited to responding to inquiries, managing client expectations, resolution and escalation of client concerns related to mechanical licensing.
- Evaluate, analyze and report on mechanical licensing activity for dissemination to management.
- Quality Assurance control, testing for defects, reporting errors and collaborating with the development team to ensure operational accuracy.
- Act as Liaison and Intermediary between business affairs and management teams and licensees to ensure MLA requirements/commitments are kept to standard.
- Lead and manage the mechanical licensing team, including any required training and development, and coaching.
- Conduct annual performance reviews, appraisals, set performance management guidelines and goals for all mechanical licensing staff.
- Responsible for the recruitment, selection, onboarding and orientation of all mechanical licensing staff.
- Manage relationships with licensees (major labels, independent labels, and PAYP manufacturers) through regular communication to ensure compliance, identify and address issues/concerns, and achieve resolution.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Comprehensive and practical understanding of music publishing, including licensing, copyright and royalties
- Sound leadership, staff management, and teambuilding skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Skilled at performing multiple tasks simultaneously in an environment with dynamic priorities
- Knowledge of the CMRRA-Manufacturer Mechanical Licensing Agreement (MLA) would be a strong asset
- Ability to read and apply artist agreements in conjunction with the MLA
- Familiarity with the Canadian music scene
- Ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form
- Good knowledge of MS Office products, especially Excel
- Knowledge of Lotus Notes, AS400 and LDS would be an asset
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in a Music/Entertainment discipline required
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience in a licensing capacity required
- Minimum of 2+ years of experience in supervisory or leadership role required
- Minimum of 4+ years in a fast-paced customer service/ client care environment required
What CMRRA Has To Offer:
- 35-hour work week and flexible work hours
- Great benefits and a Retirement Savings Plan
- Annual fitness subsidy
- Great Downtown location
- Casual Dress Code
Submit Your Resumé
To apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter here so we can get to know you!
CMRRA welcomes all applicants for this position! We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace for all!
Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise us of any accommodations needed to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.