After CMRRA has approved your access to the Unclaimed Works portal, you can log in and navigate to the Search Unclaimed Works page in the menu bar dropdown. You will be able to search for recordings using either the basic Search page (all users) or the Advanced Search page (CMRRA clients only).
Search parameters include the following fields, and can be used in combination to return a more refined set of search results:
- Recording Title
- Work Title – Note that this field will return results only where recordings have been matched to a CMRRA repertoire Work
- Activity Range – CMRRA calculates the activity level by aggregating the sales information associated with each recording across all Online Music Services, and determines ranked quantile ranges of activity from highest (1) to lowest (10), related to the current reporting year. Set the range by adjusting the slider bar to refine or expand the results set.
The Advanced Search option is available to CMRRA clients only. Here, we offer enhanced options to improve your search experience:
- The same basic search fields are available here, which can be customized by type of search: Exact, Begins With, Contains
- An additional search by Album Title parameter for recordings associated with Album information
- Enhanced Activity Range filter allows you to choose a specific year of activity, to target older recordings that may have had more activity in prior years
- Extended search by Work Information that includes additional Writer, Publisher and CMRRA Work Number parameters (use alone or in combination)
The search results for both basic and advanced searches will display the following pieces of data:
- Recording Title
- Activity Range Value
- Unidentified Work Share – If the recording is matched to a CMRRA work, this value indicates the ownership share of the work that remains unknown or unclaimed. If the recording is not matched to a CMRRA work, this will be blank, and you will instead be presented with a ‘Link to Work’ option, as outlined in more detail below.
- CMRRA Work Number – CMRRA’s unique number assigned to the matched work
- Claim Status – will reflect one of the following:
- Blank: No claim
- Draft: Claim details that you have submitted are in a draft state and can be modified
- Pending: Claim currently under review by CMRRA – details cannot be modified
- Complete: Claim processed by CMRRA
Search results will display corresponding recordings that are either:
1. Unmatched Recordings – CMRRA has not yet matched the recording. The ‘Link to Work’ expandable section presents a work search facility, to enable you to identify the correct work in our repertoire database.
2. Recordings matched to Works with unclaimed shares – CMRRA has linked the recording in question to a work record in our database, and some portion of the work ownership remains unknown or unverified.