After you have registered for a CMRRA Direct account and have received confirmation that your account has been activated, you can begin to register works with CMRRA.
Prior to registering a work, please confirm that your claim has not already been registered by searching for the title in the CMRRA Work List: under Works and Licenses, click on View Works and Licenses (see below). Please note: details regarding searching for musical works can be found in the FAQ.
Title and Header Details
As the title suggests, the Title and Header Details page is where you identify the Work Title(s) and Additional Work Properties.
Adding Work Titles
- Original Title: This field is mandatory.
- Alternative Titles: To add an Alternative Title, please click on Add Alternative Titles. You can also set the Language for the Alternate Title.
Adding Additional Work Properties
- Compound Types: Select any that apply
- Additional Data: Enter any additional data.
- Commercial Recording Details: When the following check box is selected, the Commercial Recording Details section becomes available for editing. Please complete all applicable fields and advance to the next page by selecting the “Next” button.
The Contributor Details page appears as follows:
Adding Contributor Details
IMPORTANT: To register a work with CMRRA, at least one writer and one publisher contributor must be added. This is mandatory for a successful registration.
- To add a contributor, please select Add. For a description of the contributor detail fields, please see the Contributor Details Guide below.
- If you know the CAE/IPI number for the writer or the CMRRA Account number for the publisher:
- Add a Writer contributor by inputting the CAE number directly into the CAE/IPI No. field. After you have selected a writer Role, the field will autopopulate.
- Add a Publisher contributor by inputting the account number directly into the CMRRA Account No. field. Please include leading zeroes for any account numbers that have fewer than 6 digits.
- If you don’t know the CAE/IPI No. for the writer or the CMRRA Account No. for the publisher, you can search our database by clicking on Search (see below):
Searching for Publishers and Writers
When you select Search, the Publisher and Writer Search pop-up window will appear.
Searching for Publishers
IMPORTANT: The name fields in this search screen currently default to return results on an exact match only. For ease of use, you can include wildcards (% symbol) in your search to support broader search results. Example: Searching for “Registered Music Publishing Company Inc.” can be performed using “Registered Music Pub%” or “Registered Music%.”
- The default is set to Publisher and will only return publisher results that reflect your administration, as previously registered with CMRRA. To expand the results to include non-represented contributors, you will need to uncheck the “Show Publishers that I Administer” checkbox.
- If you would like to add a newly administered publisher to a work and you have not yet notified CMRRA, you will not be able to proceed with work registration until the publisher has been processed by CMRRA. Please either download the CMRRA Publisher Registration form here or email Membership Services. After you have received confirmation from CMRRA, you will then be able to proceed with work registration.
- You can search for a publisher by IP Name, CMRRA Number or CMRRA Name. Note the CAE/IPI Number field may not return expected results (see IMPORTANT note above).
- Currently, the search will return all name types for a publisher as registered with IPI, so you may see multiple rows related to the same CMRRA Account Number. Please select the account where the IP Surname/Account Name field matches to the Patronym record. Note that in all cases it is the CMRRA Publisher Name that will appear against the registered share in our database, as well as on all licences and royalty statements.
Searching for Writers
- Select “Writer” and ensure that the “Show Publishers that I Administer” checkbox is unchecked. Writer searches can be performed in either the CAE/IPI Number field or the IP Name field.
- For writers, it is recommended that you use a wildcard search (%). Example: Searching for “Smith John Adam” can be performed using “Smith John%” or “Smith John A%”.
Contributor Details Guide
- CAE/IPI No.: 9-digit number assigned to all members of Performing Rights Organizations (PROs)
- CMRRA Account No.: The account number CMRRA has assigned to the publisher
- Legacy Account No.: The CMRRA account number from our legacy system, which may differ for accounts that have been registered after our systems were converted
- Registered Name: Publisher name as submitted to CMRRA
- First Name: Writer’s first name and any middle names, if present
- Surname/Account Name: Surname refers to a writer’s last name. For publishers, the Account Name will display the name of the publisher as registered with CMRRA
- Roles: These consist of Publisher Contributor types (E and AM) and Writer Contributor types (C, A, CA, and AR):
- E – Publisher – The interested party which has acquired by agreement with a composer and/or author the rights in a work for a stipulated territory and for a stipulated duration
- AM – Administrator – An interested party that collects royalty payments on behalf of a publisher that it represents
- C – Composer: The creator, or one of the creators, of the musical elements of a musical work
- A – Author, Writer, Lyricist: The creator, or one of the creators, of the text of a musical work
- CA – Composer/Author: The creator, or one of the creators, of text and musical elements of musical work
- AR – Arranger: Contributor credited with the arrangement of an existing Public Domain work
- Perf %: The Performance Share associated with this work
- Mech %: The Mechanical Share associated with this work. For greater clarity, this refers to the total percentage of publishing that is being collected (out of 100%), including the writer share. Please note that a claim can only be added for publishers you represent.
- Affiliation Type:
- Mech: Indicates if the account is affiliated for Mechanical Licensing
- Bcast Mech: Indicates if the account is affiliated for Broadcast Mechanical distribution
- Related Publisher: Used to associate a writer with a specific publisher account. This can be set against any contributor with a role corresponding to one of the Writer types (C, A, CA, AR)
Please provide details of known artists associated with the work in question.
This page allows a final review of all registration details in advance of submitting the work in question.
- To make a correction, use the <Prev button to return to the previous screen(s), and Next> to move forward.
- Representations and Warranties: You must agree to the Representation and Warranties for online work submission at the bottom of the page. You will be unable to complete the work submission process without reviewing and confirming your acceptance of these terms.