What is it?
- The Unclaimed Works Portal is a service launched by the Canadian Musical Reproduction Rights Agency (CMRRA) in late February 2019 that allows music publishers and self-published songwriters to search the active repertoire of online music services in Canada and match recordings to songs.
Why should you be interested?
- The Unclaimed Works Portal is accessible to any publishers and self-published artists and songwriters, regardless of whether they are clients of CMRRA.
- If people are listening to your music online in Canada, there could be money waiting to be claimed within our portal!
Why was it built?
- We created the Unclaimed Works Portal to empower rightsholders, particularly smaller publishers and self-published songwriters, by giving unprecedented access to information and agency in claiming their royalties.
- CMRRA is the only agency in Canada with the ability to retrieve royalties right back to day one of all the online music services because of our negotiated license agreements, and we designed this tool to get the harder-to-reach dollars back into the hands of artists.
What does it do?
- It allows users to match recordings to songs in CMRRA’s database and provide missing ownership share information for works that users own or control. Once your linked songs and/or submitted share claims are verified by our team, we then set you up to get paid. Watch our YouTube video about the portal here.
- To access the Unclaimed Works Portal you need to set up a CMRRA Direct account. This does not require affiliating with us, we just need some basic information from you. Approval takes a maximum of three business days, after which point you can start browsing the Unclaimed Works Portal. Click here to get started.