Who Can Affiliate with CMRRA
Representation by CMRRA is open to any person, firm or corporation which owns or administers one or more musical works in the territory of Canada. For greater clarity, if you are a songwriter who has not assigned your songs (often referred to as copyrights, catalogue, or “publishing”) to a publisher, administrator, or third party, you are the de facto publisher and can affiliate with CMRRA under your own name, or under a registered company name, as applicable.
CMRRA Affiliation Agreement and Checklist
Affiliation is a two-part process: 1) signing and returning the appropriate forms, and 2) registering songs.
1) Please send us the following pages of the CMRRA Affiliation Agreement:
- Part I: Affiliation Selection Checklist
- “Name of Publisher” is the name under which you’ll be affiliating with CMRRA. If you do not have a publisher name, you may affiliate under your own name.
- If an IPI Number has been issued to you as a publisher by your Performing Rights Organization (PRO), please include it. Otherwise, leave blank.
- Ensure that appropriate affiliation boxes have been initialed and dated
- Form ‘A’: Payment and Mailing Instructions
- Form ‘A.2’: Electronic Funds Transfer Authorization Form to receive your royalties by direct deposit. We recommend this if you have a Canadian or USA bank account.
- Voided cheque or direct deposit form from your financial institution This is required if you are providing an Electronic Funds Transfer Authorization form (Form ‘A.2’).
Submit these items to our Registrations team*. You will receive an immediate automated response confirming receipt of your email. If we have any questions or need further information, we will contact you, otherwise you will receive your countersigned copy within 5-10 business days. At this point, you can register your songs with us or you can opt to wait until you receive a countersigned copy of the agreement along with your account number.
2) A catalogue is a list of song titles to be registered for licensing purposes. It can be submitted in one of the following manners:
- Common Works Registry (CWR) – generally for publishers with mid to large size catalogues
- CMRRA Song Registration Form delivered by email
- Single song registration via CMRRA Direct – this is best for your priority works
*All affiliation forms and song registrations can be emailed to: registrations[at]cmrra[dot]ca. If you’re unable to email the information to us, please either fax or mail the documents. Our fax number is (416) 926-7521, while our address is 56 Wellesley St W, Suite 320, Toronto, ON M5S 2S3.