CMRRA is working with new global partners to provide music publishers and self-published songwriters an option to facilitate international licensing and royalty collection.
Mandated by US congress via the Music Modernization Act, the Mechanical Licensing Collective (MLC) launched on January 1, 2021. Digital service providers will be paying mechanical royalties for streaming and downloads to the MLC, both for prior periods and on a going-forward basis.
As a collective management organization (CMO) member of the MLC, CMRRA will ensure that, for those publishers who sign up for MLC collection, their repertoire will be properly registered so that past and future US digital mechanical royalties are flowing efficiently, in line with the same service levels we already provide for Canadian royalties.
CMRRA is working with IMPEL on the collection of digital royalties for territories outside of North America on a go-forward basis. IMPEL’s transparent and collective administration of publishers’ rights aligns seamlessly with CMRRA’s own mandate for accurate and detailed collection and distribution of rights holders’ royalties.
CMRRA is working in phases to implement our international collections with IMPEL, and will begin with their Core Territories, which include the European Economic Area (including the UK and Switzerland) to Eastern Europe, the Middle East and North Africa. In future phases we will expand to include additional IMPEL territories, with coverage for Latin America and India.
IMPEL’s Core Territories include:
- Switzerland, the United Kingdom and all states within the European Economic Area which includes Belgium, Bulgaria, Czechia, Denmark, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Spain, France, Croatia, Italy, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Hungary, Malta, Netherlands, Iceland, Austria, Liechtenstein, Norway, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden, Germany, Estonia, Ireland, Greece.
- Albania, Andorra, Bosnia, Gibraltar, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, San Marino, Serbia, and Turkey
- Lebanon, Luxembourg, French Polynesia, Monaco, New Caledonia
- Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Niger, Senegal, Togo, and Gulf countries – Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates, Iraq, Iran, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar
- Israel, Palestinian Territories, Yemen
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Montenegro, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and Uzbekistan
What royalties will be collected and distributed?
We are collecting digital mechanical royalties from the MLC and IMPEL. For the MLC, this includes streaming digital services. For IMPEL, the mandate is broader, and encompasses standard DSP streaming and digital downloads, as well as audio-visual uses by Facebook and YouTube. Upon receipt of distributions from the MLC & IMPEL, payments will be included in the regular flow of our quarterly cycles.
Ready to get started?
If you’re already a client, simply download this International Collections addendum here and submit your completed International Collections form below:
If you’re not yet a client of CMRRA, download our entire affiliation agreement here and submit your completed file to CMRRA Registrations .
A complete International Collections FAQ section exists here to help anticipate your queries and guide you through these new services.